RE: Pointer events – active buttons state & pen devices

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:05 AM, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

> > Today in IE10 pointerdown means the pen is in contact with the digitizer.
>
> I just installed the latest Wacom Bamboo driver and I can confirm hover click still work on Windows 8 (the pointer goes down, I can move the pen while on air, the when I release the button, the pointer goes up).
>
> I believe this is indeed a feature of the driver which emulates a click, Windows doesn't even know about what's hapening, I guess. The driver specify that 'hover click is the default parameter for external tablets' while 'hold & tap is the default parameter for Tablet PC' and I can switch between those two settings easily.
>
> I believe it's out of the scope of this specification to define what kind of emulation drivers can do.

I agree that would be out of scope.

 I also imagine this custom behavior comes in the form of the driver injecting a *mouse* right click (or on Windows, potentially just WM_CONTEXTMENU). As a browser, we may not even know that it's coming from a pen in this case.

Based on this comment, I think there's no change that needs to be made to the spec. Let me know if you disagree.

-Jacob