RE: Pointer events – active buttons state & pen devices

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 2/5/2013 2:05 PM, Tim Bannister wrote:
>>
>> I would like to see “hover click” initiate active buttons state; however, I'm not quite sure how to reword the WD to capture this subtlety.
>

> Perhaps we could change http://www.w3.org/TR/pointerevents/#the-pointerdown-event from this:
>
>> For pen, this is when the stylus makes physical contact with the digitizer.
>

> ...to this:
>
>> For pen, this is when the stylus makes physical contact with the digitizer. If the pen has one or more buttons that can perform actions while the the pen is hovering, the active buttons state is also entered when the pen transitions from zero of these buttons depressed to at least one of these buttons depressed.
>

> ...with a similar change to the pointerup section which follows.

Today in IE10 pointerdown means the pen is in contact with the digitizer. I think that's a guarantee that we want to preserve. The most common use case for pen is drawing/inking. In that scenario, you generally start a draw on pointerdown and stop on pointerup, which I wouldn't want the barrel button to trigger while hovering.

For what it's worth, I discussed the behavior that barrel click while hovering produces a right click with someone from the Windows kernel input team and their reaction was "That must have been a bug." :-)  Now, it's entirely possible one of Wacom's 3rd party drivers provide this as a feature. But it's not generally speaking a behavior we have in Windows. I have Wacom and NTrig pen devices in front of me and they don't have this behavior.