Is touch-action implicitly applied to any elements?

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 17:45:31 -0500
To: "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>
In the absence of additional CSS rules that also specify touch-action, the
following two should be equivalent, right?

and

In the current IE implementation this seems not to be the case.  In
particular, if the inner div is overflow: scroll, then it seems to take on
the behavior of '-ms-touch-action: auto'.  Explicitly specifying inherit
gets the behavior I expect.  Sample code here:
http://jsfiddle.net/rbyers/YTSuu/.

I can see why this might be a good thing (probably makes it really easy to
convert certain mouse based games to support touch without breaking inner
scrollable elements), but I also find it surprising.  If this is really the
intended behavior, then the spec should probably say something about it,
right?

Thanks,
   Rick