Re: Make mouseenter/mouseleave behavior optional

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@google.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:40:11 -0500
To: olli@pettay.fi
Cc: public-pointer-events@w3.org
On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi> wrote:
> On 11/20/2012 08:23 PM, Rick Byers wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> In the compatibility with mouse events section [1], the pointer events
>> draft dictates when mouseenter and mouseleave events should be
>> dispatched.  However, I believe today only IE and Opera support these
>> events [2].
>
> Only webkit does not support mouseenter and mouseleave, and IIRC

Ah yes, I see the quirksmode page is wrong - Firefox does too.

> there are some patches even for webkit to support them.
>

>  Can we add an 'if supported by the UA' to the wording to
>>
>> make it clear that some UAs won't dispatch these events?
>
> Why? mouseenter/leave are spec'ed elsewhere and implementations should
> support them.

I guess it's not a big deal.  I just wouldn't want to imply that a
complete implementation of pointer events MUST support
mouseenter/mouseleave also - it would make it harder to get such an
implementation into WebKit.

If mouseenter/mouseleave is really the right way forward, then I'd
argue we should have pointerenter/pointerleave too.