Re: ODRL CR link to Editor's Draft

> On 15 Sep 2017, at 10:24, Michael Steidl (IPTC) <mdirector@iptc.org <mailto:mdirector@iptc.org>> wrote:
>
> Hi Renato – and Ivan:
>
> The document currently shown at http://w3c.github.io/poe/model/ <http://w3c.github.io/poe/model/> is – as it looks – the document we hope to be posted in the https://www.w3.org/TR/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/> path in late September.

Indeed.

> It includes this:
> Latest editor's draft:
> https://w3c.github.io/poe/model/ <https://w3c.github.io/poe/model/>
>
> My question: what will happen after the posting of this document at https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/ <https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/>
Before adding the points below, let me make clear what the process is: when the document is ready to be published (ie, when we got the green light from the Director) then I will make a _copy_ of all the files to be then pushed onto www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/ <http://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/> (the situation is a bit more complicated insofar as involves some symbolic link setups, but those are details).

> Will the document at  http://w3c.github.io/poe/model/ <http://w3c.github.io/poe/model/> be renamed to “Editor’s Draft”

Yes. That is done quite automatically by changing a flag in the respec configuration.

> Or will a minor change be applied and this changed version is called the (new) Editor’s Draft
>
> The same applies to the Vocab document.
>
> Background for my question: I notified the IPTC-internal RightsML Working Group about the approval of the Editor’s Drafts and that the Candidate Release will be published at the turn from September to October. If people search for ODRL Information Model now they will find a document at http://w3c.github.io/poe/model/ <http://w3c.github.io/poe/model/> and might say “uuh, Michael is wrong, the Candidate Release has been published already”.  – (I guess they won’t study URLs … )
>
> I would be happy to know what to share with the RightsML developers now.

What you can say is that the official CR is not yet out, should be done sometimes on the 26th. The github version always reflects the latest text, except for the header and the status section, and will undergo the changes outline above.

Some groups actually make a 'snapshot' for each publication level, ie, they store the CR version (in this case) in a separate place on the repo, ready to be published (I personally believe that may be an overkill). Again some other groups use a different trick: when one reads a respec file, some configuration entries (like the fact whether it is a CR or a ED) can be set as part of the URL, in a ?specStatus=ED&publishDate=2017-09-26, for example, ie, the file itself does not change. But all those are just simple tricks.

Cheers

Ivan

> Thanks,
> Michael