RE: narrowerThan leftOperands

Hi Ivan, Renato and all,

First about the semantics of narrowerThan: its current specification in the Information Model is “The narrowerThan property defines vertical relationships between Actions, and the implies property defines horizontal relationships between Actions.” “Vertical relationship” is defined as e.g. “The hierarchical relationship of the whole to its parts and the parts to the whole” (MARC 21). And SKOS defines skos:broader and skos:narrower as “used to assert a direct hierarchical link between two SKOS concepts”.

What does the ODRL specification tell more than the SKOS definition??

So if this property should tell more than the SKOS properties then we need an extended, more explicit definition.

Re what terms to be used (parts of that were in Renato’s email, skipped by Ivan): The statement “Hence, odrl:narrowerThan asserts stronger semantic implications than skos:narrower (ie actions terms are more than just a hierarchy of concepts)” already shows the problem, in terms of semantics odrl:narrowerThan and skos:broader have to be matched!

I suggest to combine the hierarchical direction and the (basic) term as defined by SKOS and similar systems:

odrl:stream odrl:broaderAction odrl:use .

odrl:user odrl:narrowerAction odrl:stream .

Re Ivan’s note about SKOS:

That sounds a bit like  “mindset A against mindset B”

IPTC has decided to adopt SKOS for all of its about 200 vocabularies in 2014 and we didn’t run into troubles since then.
(The IPTC News Architecture has been built using the idea of Concepts already 10 years ago, adopting SKOS was more a change in managing concepts than a change in thinking.)

And IPTC has three basic types of concepts:

-          For categorizing news content, like the Media Topics (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/mediatopic/) or Genre (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/genre/)

-          For reflecting technical/functional features, like audio codecs (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/audiocodec/) or the Publishing Status (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/pubstatusg2/)

-          For refining/adjusting the semantics of a statement by an IPTC news exchange format. Examples: refined semantics of a description property (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/descriptionrole/), type of the party being the triple-object with infoSource as predicate (http://cv.iptc.org/newscodes/infosourcerole/)

All are managed as generic Concept, how a set of concepts (defined as scheme) impacts a statement is defined by the specification of the news exchange format (usually be the spec of the property). And we have to be aware: not all details of an ontology design can be directly serialized into XML or JSON, having a child property or attribute with a value from a concept scheme is a good solution in many cases.

By my experience ontologies help to define the relationships between Things but to define OWL is the only language which can be used to define relationships and thinking in terms of Concepts is nonsense is disagreed by me.

(Now I’m away from my computer – excuse not to join the call today, it’s a sunny holiday here in Vienna.)

Best,

Michael