Re: ISO 22028-5 Support (adding dWLm (Diffuse White Luminance Metadata)

Thanks Leonard.

________________________________
From: Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 10, 2023 12:33:02 PM
To: Seeger, Chris (NBCUniversal) <Chris.Seeger@nbcuni.com>; Chris Blume (ProgramMax) <programmax@gmail.com>; Leo Barnes <lbarnes@apple.com>
Cc: public-png@w3.org <public-png@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: ISO 22028-5 Support (adding dWLm (Diffuse White Luminance Metadata)

To clarify, I am NOT suggesting we hold 3rd edition for this!   I think we should publish 3rd edition as is – with no additions.  My understanding is that we make any technical changes at this point, we have to go back to IPR reviews, etc. – it’s just not a matter of “sneaking it in”, and to your point – we want this out sooner rather than later.

If changes come out of the Feb meeting, including what you propose below, we can address those in a future update.

The work isn’t just around ICC profiles as we understand their use today – but also the possibilities of what other types of data/info they can/should contain (specifically around HDR) and how that would interact with native format functionality.  For example, if TC 42 & ICC decide that the “diffuse white tag” should be inside an ICC profile instead of a format-centric chunk – then we would need to update our spec to address that case, and what would happen if they both existed, etc.

Stripping of public chunks is not recommended – and we should be sure to make sure we make that clear in our Marketing/Comms.   (NOTE: ignoring them in a decoder, which is permitted, is not the same thing)

Leonard