Re: [epub-33] XHTML design decision

Ah, we tried in the leadup to EPUB 3.1. But there was major concern that many EPUB reading systems used XML-based toolchains to ingest EPUB content, and using the HTML serialization would break those tools. It was ultimately decided that pushing for the HTML serialization was not worth the compatibility risk given there is so much existing EPUB content, and EPUB reading systems are generally updated far less often than browsers.

There is some discussion at https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/issues/636

Thanks,

Dave Cramer