Re: Work in Progress on Geolocation Working Group (Advance Notice)

This is a very interesting piece of work and one that, if my time
allows, The Family Online Safety Institute would want to contribute to.
The privacy and security issues are incredibly important and, however
it's done, the end user MUST remain in control of their location data.

You'd need to support a variety of settings such as
1. always off (i.e never disclose your location)
2. always on
3. Only reveal my location to the following services...
4. Ask me every time someone wants to know where I am

Young children already use the argument that if only their parents would
  let them have a phone they'd always know where they were (my 9 year
old trots that one out every other day). The pester power is going to go
up! But on the really dark side, the risks to vulnerable children are
significantly increased if those that would do them harm can find them
easily. There is a media literacy angle here too, of course - children
and their parents need to be told about the benefits and dangers of
Location Based Services - maybe that might be something for the W3F to
contribute to alongside this WG?

Phil.

--
Phil Archer