Re: Proposal for a new W3C CG: "Web We Can Afford"

> On 26 Jan 2016, at 01:00, Jack Jamieson <jack.jamieson@mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>

> At any rate, I'm very pleased to see the creation of this group. One of my interests is material impacts of the web – a set of technologies that is so often presented as immaterial (e.g. in popular conceptions of "the cloud”) – and ecological impacts are a big part of this.

I'd be interested to know how much the electricity consumption would be if the BlockChain grew as much as the current
proponents indicate and if they did not change their proof of work algorithm.

Clearly there are other algorithms in the pipeline as pointed out by this article
    https://tonyarcieri.com/the-death-of-bitcoin <https://tonyarcieri.com/the-death-of-bitcoin>

But an argument from energy, can indeed be an argument against a certain type of algorithm.

Henry