Re: Political Rhetoric, Philosophy, and Digital Textbook Selection Processes

On 01/09/2013 07:03 AM, Adam Sobieski wrote:
> [...]
> pertain to semantic models, conceptual backdrops, the contexts of
> utterances pertinent to meaning. In the philosophy of science, the
> semantic view of theories indicates models as relating to theories.
> Each concept’s or theory’s definition includes, beyond semantics,
> logic and mathematics, its inclusion in a set of models. Each model
> contains a set of interoperating concepts and theories. Suppositions
> or constructions can pertain to models, abstractly, semantic
> backdrops, parts of the context in which statements or utterances are
> made and have meaning. Additionally, in spoken language, there is also
> both prosody and intonation.
>
> In addition to philosophical, linguistic, and social science topics,
> formal methods in argument reconstruction are topical. The
> understanding of such things, the capability to circumnavigate topics,
> to have agility in terms of suppositions and constructions, models, to
> be able to argue any side of each topic, are some of the goals of the
> study of argumentation.
>
> Argument reconstruction is also a topic interesting to philosophy and
> we could consider whether philosophical argumentation is distinct from
> conversational, mathematical, scientific, legal, and political
> argumentation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentation_theory#Kinds_of_argumentation).
>

> Onto the topic of digital book selection processes, there are some
> salient differences between systems for book retail, systems for
> libraries, and systems for the selection of textbooks in American
> public schools, though technology and software can enhance and
> convenience each. Topical concepts include: free market capitalism,
> breadth of options, multiculturalism, nationalism, centralization and
> decentralization, government accountability and transparency, roles of
> the family and of the state, community, public school systems, and
> numerous state and federal laws.
>
> While some have considered web-based app store models for the sale of
> textbooks to schoolboards, others consider models with
> schoolboard-local databases and client-side software, models where
> each schoolboard can have each candidate digital textbook in their
> database and where each schoolboard member can make use of computer
> technology during group processes. We can see that a niche exists for
> such tools and equipment, collaborative software, and that
> argumentation technologies can enhance such software.
>
> The number of digital textbook options available for schoolboards to
> select from is expected to increase and, as the dataset is a large
> number of books, the topic has an additional applicability to library
> science and to the digital humanities. Digital books will have
> numerous features beyond ink and paper books as well and discussions
> about and selection processes of digital textbooks are expected to be
> more complex than those about and of previous ink and paper textbooks.

Just to say, *thanks* for the on- topic email Adam. The point re the use
of "us" as an indexical is particularly interesting. There are no
argumentation standards I know of as well. Re epubs, I believe the W3C
has a workshop coming up on this topic you could attend next month:

http://idpf.org/news/w3c-announces-workshop-on-electronic-books-and-the-open-web