a philoweb example - Fwd: privacy definitions -- was: WebID questions

I am forwarding this exchange to the philoweb mailing list as it gives a good example of how philosophy starts penetrating discussions in engineering at the W3C. This exchange was one of the last ones in a 2 day debate [1] on the WebID community group with Ben Laurie [2], who is a founding member of the Apache Software Foundation, cryptographer, working at Google and on the advisory board of Wikileaks. Ben Laurie was taking the skeptical position on WebID throughout. I am not sure we managed to convince him, but the debate ended up turning when I realised that we might have been speaking past each other, and I introduced a working definition of privacy. That is the fundamental problem was one of distinguishing anonymity from privacy, and showing how linkeability may be essential to creating distributed social networks that can enhance privacy as well as community.

The debate had previously gotten stuck a lot on user interface issues, so I split this up with an e-mail to Ian Walden [3], professor of Information and communication Law at Queen Mary at the University of London. I am not sure if he'll be able to respond to the question, but at least by asking the question we could concentrate on the issue of autonomy and privacy.

For those of you on this list studying philosophy I hope this gives some insight on how philosophy touches engineering, and can have a real impact on a debate. I know that I was often wondering how philosophy had an impact on reality when I was studying :-)

Henry Story

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2012Sep/thread.html
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Laurie
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2012Sep/0148.html