operational semantics - Fwd: rdf semantics and timelessly true

An interesting e-mail for people doing research in these topics
with a different view of semantics.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ross Horne <ross.horne@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: rdf semantics and timelessly true
> Date: 16 November 2012 11:08:07 CET
> To: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
>
> Hi Henry,
>
> Great email!
>
> Modal logics are indeed one option, but they still try to be classical
> in spirit. What I mean is negation is still interpreted as the
> complement of a set but this time in term of a Kripke frame allowing
> possible world connected by a relation.
>
> Because you have enthusiasm for logic, I hope you don't mind me
> sharing another perspective on logic that I feel is relevant to Linked
> Data. It is possible to work semantically, but remain in a syntactic
> world, i.e. without building a set theoretic or category theoretic
> model. This is done in a branch of logic called proof theory, which
> focuses on the semantics of logic as syntactic proof structures. The
> key result is the cut-elimination result (first proven by Gentzen for
> propositional logic). Cut-elimination can be seen in several ways, as
> an internal soundness and completeness result, or a proof of
> consistency of the internal dynamics of the proof system.
>
> Proof theory opens a door some modern logics including intuitionistic
> logic, linear logic and the latest twist in modern logic the calculus
> of structures. These modern logics are highly suited to problems in
> computer science. E.g. intuitionistic logic matches with typed
> functional programming and linear logic matches with resources
> sensitive parallelism. In the last decade, deep inference, has allowed
> us to treat time or causality in this purely syntactic logical
> setting. In these logics provability rather than truth are central and
> negation is no where near as strong as in a classical model theory.
> For example, given a formula A it negation in linear logic, say ~A is
> the resource that interacts perfectly with the formula A. This is
> initially baffling, since you must throw away your classical reading
> of negation an see things in terms of the dynamic manipulation of
> syntax!
>
> I like your modal logic approach to context. I'm only suggesting that
> there are other approaches to consider, some of which where the
> distinction between syntax and semantics is more subtle.

Note that David Lewis in all his books proposes a version of possible
worlds entirely reduced to sets of sentences for pure nominalists.
There are different consequences for that view, but I don't remember
the details. I alway found the modal realist approach more fun :-)
Still that leaves you with Sets I suppose, which he does try to remove
with his last book on mereology.

My quick initial research on what your pointers leads me to:

Genzen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentzen's_consistency_proof
Deep Inference: http://alessio.guglielmi.name/res/cos/

I'd be interested in a good pointer to the definition of causality,
as I like David Lewis' defintion of causality as a relation between
two events such that

 e1 causes e2  iff  had e1 not occurred, e2 would not have occurred either

He then needs to tune this definition, because events can be overdetermined
by multiple causes. Something he looks at in a book Edited by John Collins, Ned
Hall and L.A.Paul "Causation and Counterfactuals"

Henry

Anyway, thanks for the pointers. Those are things I need to study more
carefully.

> [...]
>>
>>  "Schnee ist weiß" is true in German <=> Snow is white .
>>
>> If you can produce a theory that can map all such sentences from
>> German to  in this case English, you have a theory of meaning of
>> German. Doing this in terms of possible worlds I think just allows
>> you to generalise this to all possible translation systems.
>>
>> In any case if you are more pragmatic you may ask: how does this
>> affect action? Cause you know we have got things to do here!
>>
>> So here goes when you say that some graph is true, you are saying that
>> that sent of possible worlds contains the actual world. Which means you
>> can merge that information with the other graphs you consider to describe
>> the actual world.
>>
>> Assume you believe ( your data store contains ).
>>
>>  :george a foaf:Person .
>>
>> and now assume a friend of yours has written on his profile
>>
>>   { :tim foaf:knows :george . } saidBy :tim .
>>
>> Assume you have a rule such that
>>
>>   { { :tim foaf:knows ?p } saidBy :tim } => { { :tim foaf:knows ?p } a log:Truth }
>>
>> it follows from the disquotational rule of truth you can then assert
>>
>>   :tim foaf:knows :george .
>>
>> If it happens that :george visits your site, you can for example make
>> it easy for  :george to communicate with :tim   ( simplifying a lot )
>>
>> That is truth is important because it allows you to merge information
>> in order to then be able to act on it. And yes, reality may then show
>> you that your reasoning about which possible world you were in was mistaken.
>>

>>> Provenance can also be tracked also using
>>> only syntax, perhaps proving historical information about the context,
>>> then used to "quantify" triples; but you all know this!
>>>
>>> Andy Seaborne and the Data Access WG has been smart in avoiding asking
>>> questions about the truth of RDF statement when producing the SPARQL
>>> specs. In the SPARQL specs, RDF triples are just syntax.
>>
>> They are looking for patterns in a graph, and so don't need to
>> go beyond what you term syntax.
>>

>>> However, I agree with Pat that the URIs themselves should be
>>> "intuitively" timeless . Will it ever be possible to avoid using the
>>> word "true" in this open world setting?
>>
>> People over time got very anxious about Truth, because they thought that
>> they were forced into one overarching truth. Such thinking makes
>> it impossible to do psychology correctly. It is wide spread, since most
>> programming languages don't make the notions of context clear.
>>
>>  https://blogs.oracle.com/bblfish/entry/are_oo_languages_autistic
>>
>> But you don't need to worry about Truth being problematic for this.
>> And you need not worry that logic cannot work with context. Or that
>> syntax and semantics are not related. It all works nicely together,
>> but one has to see how and in what way.
>>
>> Modal logic did it is true take a lot of time to be convincing ( the
>> 1970ies it seems was the breakthrough period ). So you have to be careful
>> when reading philosophers, logicians to see if their criticism comes

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/