Re: Digital Textbook Hardware and Software Capabilities and Feature Sets

On 26 Dec 2012, at 18:37, Adam Sobieski <adamsobieski@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Web Philosophy Community Group,
> Harry Halpin, Web Cryptography Working Group, W3C Staff Contact,
>
> How would you define philosophy? I think that I can answer your question, make a clear argument about philsophical aspects of the previous letter's topic(s), but first, and based upon what I have seen here, thus far, it appears that it would be productive for me to ascertain your, or this group's, definition of philosophy.

Essentially we trying to gather work that in the W3C comes up that could usefully
be enlightened by academic work in philosophy.

There is enough of a tradition of philosophy that we don't have to here go into
a definition of it here. Look to the work done at philosophy departments in top
universities to guide you.

A good thing would be to look at some of the work that has been done here.

See Bernard Stiegler's keynote at WWW2012 which I sent earlier

or my "Philosophy of the Social Web" on
   http://bblfish.net/tmp/2010/10/26/

Or Harry Halpin's thesis
   http://journal.webscience.org/324/

This reminds me that we should put up a wiki page here with lists to all the
papers that seem to contribute positively to the work here.

You can also look at the archives here where you can see how philosophical
issues are impacting work on the web. Currently we have been gathering issues
more than discussing them, which in any case tends to not be easy at all.

Henry

> Kind regards,
>
> Adam Sobieski

A short message from my sponsors: Vive la France!
Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/