Re: Issue-742: Proposal aria-destination

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 09:10:18 +0200, Schnabel, Stefan
<stefan.schnabel@sap.com> wrote:

> Hi Chaals,

> Is aria-label NOT machine readable? We always check that in our
> automatic accessibility checks..

I mean the content of the attribute will be identifiable by a machine - in
practical terms, it comes from an enumerated set of value, rather than
being free text.

You might check there *is* an aria-label, but do you have a way of
automatically that "wot eye sees" and "the visual representation generated
by my perceptive capacity" are the same, but that "what? I see" is likely
to be very different?

In any event, their first stated use case is to enable third parties to
write reliable CSS selectors such as

*[rel=help]:before { content: url(HelpIcon)}

and have it pick up links, buttons, spans with a bunch of javascript and
rel="help", rather than having to use a pile of heuristics.

Note. This means people writing content for russian would be expected to
use rel="help" not rel="Помочь" …  but if they do that, their russian
content (or hebrew, german, spanish, etc) will get the HelpIcon rendered
next to the thing that links to help, whatever it looks like.

cheers

Chaals