Re: proliferation of reference roles in the dpub aria spec.

On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 15:31:29 +0200, Richard Schwerdtfeger
<schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Good point Charles. To my knowledge AT Vendors do not look at @rel.
> The problems I have with it are that many of its values and the fact
> that it applies to an area.
> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/dpub.html#dpub-glossref
>
> Here are some useless values, and confusing values, to our audience:
> prefetch, stylesheet, bookmark, license, stylesheet
>
> Why would a cognitively impaired user care that it maps to a stylesheet?
Why would anyone try to present to a cognitively impaired used that
something maps to a stylesheet? And what is helpful to people with
cognitive disabilities about "footer", until you actually implement some
useful behaviour around it?

Browsers already have built-in handling for everyone of rel="stylesheet" -
they use it to present content in a way that enhances the basic structural
information with a useful visual style. And different, but equally useful
handling of prefetch.

Why wouldn't they do something useful with other values of rel, that they
would do if it were called aria-something?

The only argument I can see for using aria-* is that it forces the issue
of whether you need to be using an assistive technology for aria to help
you. But I doubt there is any real value there to outweigh the problems we
get by shifting everything - including a lot of our hopes for making
things work better as well as a confusing pile of markup - onto aria.

cheers