RE: Name and Description computation

I am on vacation Nov 23-27, Dec 8, and Dec 21 - Jan 1.

I’m going to create issues in tracker for the things we found.  One high-level concern is that it is quite difficult to understand how aria and html work together in the algorithm.  Some of this is due to the spec being more abstract than 1.0, some of it is due to the HTML-AAM being unclear or incomplete, and some is due to the fact that the Text Alternative Computation 1.1 and HTML-AAM don’t use common terminology.  For example, it is hard to understand what HTML elements have “native host language text alternative element or attribute” and which support “name from contents.” It would be much easier to follow if HTML-AAM had lists of the elements that fall into each category where Text Alternative Computation refers to native host language features.

We haven’t started SVG yet, so I can’t comment on that.

From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 9:32 AM
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Cc: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>; Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>; Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>; Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>; Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>; Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>; SVG-A11y TF <public-svg-a11y@w3.org>; PF <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Name and Description computation

I am available most days up until christmas

--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C<http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2015/03/current-standards-work-at-w3c/>

On 13 November 2015 at 17:24, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com<mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com>> wrote:

All,

A number of issues pertaining to name/description computation have come up - both for SVG, HTML, and Core. In fact, I had to leave our AAPI call with Joseph when Cynthia wanted to raise some issues related to UIA. Also, SVG is a platform for some of you and I think it would be good to go through the name and computation description issues there so that we can ensure consistency across browsers.

In the interest of clear communication I think we should try to get together on a number of calls to discuss the issues. I think it would take more than one call.

Since we are approaching the holiday season what are people's availability in December. I will be on vacation the week of December 7 and I am sure most of us turn into pumpkins after December 25. In January I will be traveling January 5 through 7.

Best,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger