Re: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

White, Jason J writes:
> In any case, I think all that the W3C needs to do is to supply (1) the media query that reflects the user’s “extended description” requirement, and (2) possibly an ARIA role for designating descriptions. Existing HTML elements, including details/summary, figure/figcaption, and other solutions identified in the work of this group can address all of the various use cases of which I am aware. I also support Rich in encouraging implementation of details/summary.

Yes, perhaps the ARIA role will do the trick to disambiguate the
description use of Details from other uses. However, solving the
disambiguation requirement via ARIA again restricts the feature to users
of ATs. One argument for Details has been that it doesn't require AT and
can benefit cognitive and keyboard only use cases. Alas, seems we're
losing that benefit because Details is unrestricted.

Is there another way that preserves the "no AT required" benefit? I
regret I don't see what it could be, but it would be good if we could
find a reliable robust way to do this without requiring AT.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka, Phone: +1.443.300.2200
   sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net