Re: Proposal: remove aria-describedat from the ARIA 1.1 specification

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:11, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> The digital publishing industry would like to turn these extended descriptions off by default as they impact the flow of the document. What they would like to do is have a media query that says expose extended descriptions which would be used to show or hide the details buttons. The user would then need to click on the button (represented by <summary>) to expose the description. So, by default these detail buttons would be hidden. I don't know what they would like to call the media query property.
>
> The property could be set by an EPUB reader, EPUB authoring tool as local to the tool and exposed as a media query property (like we would do for mid-width). It also could be an operating system feature that could be exposed by the browser as a media query. All these epub readers are browser based.

This feature request clearly invokes the wider discussion that started in the IndieUI working group regarding the use of media queries to disclose individual accessibility needs to Web applications.

The essence of the discussion at the APA working group meeting at TPAC, which included participants from the CSS working group, was that defining the privacy mechanism is a prerequisite to the acceptance of such media queries. Fortunately, the IndieUI working group paid particular attention to this problem and it seems to me that a satisfactory solution should not be difficult to specify, e.g., a per-domain prompt that requests the user’s permission to disclose the information.

Thank you for your compliance.