Re: Questions about the new "caption" role for tables

Hey Steve.

On 03/31/2015 11:36 AM, Steve Faulkner wrote:
> "In addition, at least in the case of HTML, there is an associated
> positional requirement, namely that the caption (if present) should be
> the first child element"
>
> It is my understanding  that the positional requirement is due to parsing implementation constraints only. A suggested constraint to have is that each role=table or role=group (in the case of figcaption) only have one child with a role=caption.

I agree with the constraint and will add text to that effect. Thanks!

As for the positional requirement and parsing, I don't think the
aforementioned constraint solves that. User agents still have to parse
tables. Only now, with the creation of the new table roles, we're
empowering authors to create tables out of divs which strikes me as the
same parsing problem, with an increased likelihood of authoring and
parsing errors, and increased difficulty in validating the result
programmatically.

Hmmmm.... I've just convinced myself that we should indeed have a
positional requirement. ;) I'm willing to hear arguments to the
contrary, however.

--joanie