Re: Okay - I admit it - I HATE Implicit Value for Role

First - thanks for being so gracious in your replies.  After I sent that I
sort of thought I was being an ass.

More comments inline

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:29 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 4:21 PM, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
>
> In ARIA 1.1 [1] there is a table row in some rows entitled "Implicit Value
> for Role".
>
> I have two problems with this.
>
> First, wow, that name is awful.  It implies (apologies for the pun) that
> it is about a value for role.  It is not.
>

> Agreed. Suggestions for a new name?

"Default State/Property Values" ?  "Default State and Property Values" ?
 "Implied State and Property Values" ?  Something like that.

> Second, when there is content (which is rare) it says things like "Default
> for aria-live is assertive."  That's probably correct, but I need more.
> Why is this the case?  And does it convey this to subclasses of the role if
> there are any?  Enquiring minds want to know.
>

> I can probably give an example for each if we have a consistent place to
> mention it. Suggestions? In addition to he table row, I think there is a
> note in each role section. We could add the explanation there.

I like the idea (in general) of explaining anything that is unusual for any
role. Each role that introduces a new state / property should explain why.
It is probably obvious to whomever wrote it in the first place, but outside
of that room.... some of it is not.

Examples might be overkill.  Just a little prose that says "property X is
relevant to role Y because, in the expected use model Z it is important
that we have a well known range of values" or whatever.  It's not a
normative requirement.  It's just text that helps the reader with context
about the role, it's position in the taxonomy, and the various states /
properties that it inherited or introduced.

I can probably provide some example text, but first I would like to know if
anyone else would find this valuable.  Otherwise I won't push on this rope
too hard.

--
Shane McCarron