Re: Action-1293 Proposal

Hi Joanie,

(sorry if you get this twice, I goofed on the send to the public-pf list).

On 2015-03-18 8:08 PM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
> Hi Joseph, Alex, and all.
>
> Forgive me for combining messages, but since it's all flavors of the
> same issue....
>
> On 03/18/2015 03:23 PM, Joseph Scheuhammer wrote:
>
>> >If @aria-colindex declares the actual index of the columns present in
>> >the DOM, and there are no gaps, then all that is needed is the first
>> >index.  The rest are implied as sequential:

>> >B, C, and D cells have column indices of 6, 7, and 8, respectively.
>> >
>> >That would save space.  Is it too much work for the browser to calculate?
> What if there are gaps? Would you make everything explicit like this:

If there are gaps, then something else is needed .

There being gaps is a major issue here.  Up until now, the problem to be
solved was that the table is large -- say 10,000 entries -- and the web
app loads only part of into the DOM at a time.  As the user scrolls
beyond the entries that are present, new ones are fetched. It's the same
problem that was solved by aria-posinset and aria-setsize for lists and
trees.

The spec for aria-posinset/aria-setsize make no mention of gaps, because
gaps were not a consideration.  The problem was simply, "we are not
going to load all of the tree at once, just the part the user needs to
interact with", which means the items are contiguous.

So, before proceeding, I think we need to decide if ARIA is going to
support non-contiguous data sets.  IMHO, this adds a layer of complexity
that will make authors lives more difficult, and likely make for badly
marked up tables and grids.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -