Re: ACTION-1349: Creation of aria-placeholder

On 01/15/2015 11:06 AM, Joseph Scheuhammer wrote:
> A nit:
>
> On 2015-01-15 9:55 AM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
>> Authors SHOULD present this hint to the user by displaying the text
>> inside a blank unfocused control.
>
> This implies that a blank *focused* control should not show the
> placeholder text.  Is that the recommended and/or HTML behaviour? (I
> have no opinion).

According to [1]:

    User agents should present this hint to the user, after having
    stripped line breaks from it, when the element's value is the empty
    string and the control is not focused (i.e., by displaying it
    inside a blank unfocused control).

If there's a reason that behavior is not desired, I think we should file
a bug against HTML 5. I myself don't have an opinion about that. I do,
however, like the idea of custom widgets behaving more or less like the
native ones. Having said that, my opinion is not a strong one.

On a related note: I attempted to incorporate the feedback from the
group into a proposal for which I've created a branch. [2] Further input
encouraged.

--joanie

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/forms.html#attr-input-placeholder
[2] http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-1349/aria/aria.html#aria-placeholder