Re: DPUB module comments

On 10/03/2015 3:30 PM, James Craig wrote:
>> On Mar 10, 2015, at 11:45 AM, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> We agreed at the 7 January 2015 PF Editors meeting that for DPub we would waive the normal requirement for new role modules to have a prefix, because they are coordinating closely with us through the DPub ARIA task force.
> We’re trying to actively avoid role proliferation, especially because we now have real evidence that authors are confused by some of the nuanced differences between roles. I think it’s a bad idea to waive this requirement.

Certainly. The PF saw the importance of this at the January 2014 face to
face meeting and decided that it would ask that non-core modules use
prefixes until mature enough to make the modules formally a part of
ARIA. However, the DPub people told us they would have increased
difficulty developing their roles under such a constraint. In
discussion, we agreed that if they coordinate closely enough with us to
mitigate those concerns you raised, that it would be ok not to require a
prefix. That's what we confirmed at that PF editors meeting, which you
were at, and I thought you accepted that outcome based on the discussion
and commitments made.

If new information has come to light, we can reopen that discussion of
course. But we need to acknowledge that the current form of the DPub
module is not incorrect according to the instructions we gave them. I
think we haven't yet fully exercised all the cautions we promised to put
in place, so the first action I would suggest is to pursue that and see
if it resolves the concerns, rather than change the agreement. We can
also explore further the concerns you're raising (the "real evidence
that authors are confused by some of the nuanced differences between
roles") as part of this. Until we've both exhausted the reasonable
protections, and gotten clear on what the problems in practice are so
far, I would ask that we not ask the DPub ARIA TF to change course.
Perhaps we will want to set First Public Working Draft as a milepost by
which we need to resolve this fully, which may mean a longer review
period than is usual to approve a FPWD transition.

Michael