aria-describedat

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 07:54:27 -0500
To: "George Kerscher" <kerscher@montana.com>, janina@rednote.net
Cc: PF <public-pfwg@w3.org>, "SVG WG" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>, public-dpub-aria@w3.org, cooper@w3.org, jbrewer@w3.org, "Markus Gylling" <markus.gylling@gmail.com>

George, Janina,

As you know, we put aria-describedat in the ARIA 1.1 spec., however the
caviat for it staying was that we see adequate support from a number of key
publishers that they would commit to using it if we actually kept it in the
specification. This was months ago. Janina had promised me that after I
came back from vacation that we would see something either way from
publishers. I have been back two weeks now and there has been no movement.

At this point I am trying to lock down the ARIA 1.1 specification so that
we can work on ARIA 2.0 which will address critical features such as
extensibility and greater support for web applications. Also, the group has
additional modules in development for digital publishing and graphics that
are coming in parallel that are taxing people's time.

So, allowing for possible mis-communications between PF and the publishers
I am going to give to mid-August to see a strong response from publishers.
If we do not see it I am going to propose that aria-describedat be removed
from the ARIA 1.1 specification.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger