Re: ACTION-1674: New error message mechanism proposal

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 16:44, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> We define attribute called aria-errormessage that takes a single ID that points to the error message. Authors should ensure that the ID points to a message that has an aria-live property. The default is aria-live="off", consistent with the aria-live attribute.  When the aria-errormessage is applied the author MUST also supply the aria-invalid attribute to the element. It is not an author MUST to have an aria-erromessage when aria-invalid is provided.

Suppose aria-invalid=“false”, aria-errormessage=“myId”, and the element referred to has aria-live=“assertive”. If the content of that element changes but aria-invalid remains “false”, is it correct that the UA still shouldn’t deliver the error message to the user? That is, should aria-invalid be required to have a non-false token value for the error message to be delivered? I think this is the correct result, but it’s important to consider such cases in developing the spec.

Thank you for your compliance.