Re: aria-current concerns from Apple

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:33 AM James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> > Because: 1> deep traversal is expensive, 2> although we can cache the
> current element and optimize the performance, aria-current can be used on
> any kind of elements, sometimes it’s difficult to determine how many levels
> the current element should traverse up to find its parent container node
> (Or can we always assume that the parent node of the current element is the
> container we want?).

I'd just like to address this one point. I think it'd be fine if we
required the parent node of the current element to be the container, unless
the author puts role=presentation on the parent (then it should search for
the first non-presentational parent).

This is consistent with the rest of the spec, since for example an element
with a role of list must have only groups and listitems as its children,
not its descendants (unless some children are presentational).

I don't have a strong opinion otherwise.

- Dominic