RE: ARIA 1.1: primary button attribute proposal

> Indicates that an element is the primary action which is intended to occur within the button's landmark or dialog.

Is this only for buttons? Could it apply to a link?

Making the button possessive feels linguistically awkward and ambiguous to me so I propose wording below to change that.

> Generally, this would only be present if there is a different visual indication for the primary action.

This also feels ambiguous; I reworded slightly to make it clear what the purpose of the visual styling is.

> A keyboard user would normally activate the primary action through use of the enter key, even if they are not focussed on the current control.

I don't understand this sentence. The "current control" is always the one with focus. I reworded to state what I think was intended.

> it is placed on a button that is not within a landmark or dialog container it is considered to be an author error.

I reworded this to be a normative statement and removed "it".

I propose the following wording:

Indicates that an element triggerrs execution of the action that is primary within the context of a dialog or landmark section.

An element that executes an action that is primary, or default within a specific context, can be activated with a keyboard command even if the element does not have focus. A primary action element has a visual style that distinguishes it from other action elements in the same context.

For example, the Next button in a Wizard, The Ok button in a dialog, and the Search action in a Search region are often primary action elements. Typically, Keyboard users activate the primary action element from any point within its context by pressing the Enter key unless the currently focused element consumes the Enter key.

Authors SHOULD apply aria-primaryaction to only one element within a landmark section or dialog. Authors SHOULD NOT apply aria-primaryaction to an element that is not contained in a landmark section or dialog.

Matt King