Re: What do you think about the use of aria-label on elements with no role?

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 6:31 AM, White, Jason J <jjwhite@ets.org> wrote:

> I would also prefer not to honor aria-label on elements with a generic
> role. Some authors would very much appreciate the opportunity to write
> the undesirable effect of also presenting the value of aria-label in
> braille output, where it can be particularly verbose and inappropriate,
> making the text harder rather than easier to read. The author’s implicit
> assumption that text to speech is being used simply does not hold in this
> case.

I don't think this has anything to do with generic elements, though. I've
seen authors incorrectly use aria-label to improve the pronunciation of a
button, too. I'm fine with not allowing aria-label on a generic element but
I don't think this is a good argument for or against it.

Yes, we need ways to specify pronunciation - but independent of that,
authors sometimes want to present different text for accessibility.