Re: Question about a rowgroup note

Joseph: Thanks for your response!

Everyone else: Input please. :)

When I sent this message a couple of days ago [1], I was operating under
the impression that we'd have new tbody, thead, and tfoot ARIA roles --
as I alluded to in that message.

Having explicitly asked about tbody and friends [2], I am starting to
suspect that this might not come to pass after all. :) As a result, the
first part of the current note about rowgroup would still stand / not be
obsoleted. The second part of the note still confuses me. And as you'll
see in Joseph's reply below, I'm apparently not the only one. Since I'm
top-posting, I'll repeat the note and my question here.

<quote>
The rowgroup role exists, in part, to support role symmetry in HTML, and
allows for the propagation of presentation inheritance on HTML table
elements with an explicit presentation role applied.
</quote>

Could someone please elaborate on the use case -- and for that matter
meaning -- of "allows for the propagation of presentation inheritance on
HTML table elements with an explicit presentation role applied." Bonus
points for an example that we might be able to include in the spec so
that readers know exactly what the note is stating.

Thanks!
--joanie

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Mar/0240.html
[2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2015Apr/0005.html