RE: Operable Grid Cell

According to the APG, you can make a gridcell operable with any kind of
widget that will not consume the keys used to navigate the grid. The only
limitation is that there is only one operable element inside the cell. If
there is more than one, then the grid must change to "actionable" mode.

For example, a grid of buttons with one button per cell allows the user to
press enter or space with focus on a cell and the button is activated.

The APG says:
"Option: the author may choose to enable 'auto action' on a cell in order
to avoid having to press Enter or F2 a second time to activate the default
behavior of the object contained in a cell. For example, if the cell
contains a single link the author may want to have enter follow the link
rather than just move focus to it. This auto action mode should be
configurable on a per cell basis as its utility is dependent on each
cell's content. For example, if the cell contains multiple links, auto
action should be disabled as its behavior would be ambiguous."[1]

There is quite a bit in the grid section of the APG that I would like to
see changed. But, I think this particular point makes sense and may
address the issue being raised in this thread.

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices/#grid

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com