embedded ARIA in EMMA

From: Deborah Dahl <dahl@conversational-technologies.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:28:46 -0400
To: "'W3C WAI Protocols & Formats'" <public-pfwg@w3.org>
Cc: "''Janina Sajka''" <janina@rednote.net>, "'W3C Multimodal group'" <w3c-mmi-wg@w3.org>
The MMIWG is considering an addition to the EMMA spec so that EMMA can be
used for user output in interactive systems. Previously EMMA was used only
to represent user input.
For output dynamically generated by an intelligent system, I think you would
like to automatically add ARIA roles to the markup (because the system
interaction manager obviously knows the purpose of the output, it should be
able to do this).
Here's an example that I was thinking of. Let's say the user provided a
phone number to the system but the phone number wasn't in the right format.
The system could generate an alert without necessarily specifying how the
alert was to be presented. Then another component would figure out how to
render the alert appropriately given user preferences and context.

<emma:emma version="1.1"
    xmlns:emma="http://www.w3.org/2003/04/emma"
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2003/04/emma
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-emma-20090210/emma.xsd"
    xmlns:aria="http://www.w3.org/ns/wai-aria/">
  <emma:output id="output1" role:"aria:aria-alert>
    <item>phone number</item>
    <warning>invalid format</warning>
  </emma:output>
</emma:emma>

Do you think that kind of message looks reasonable from your perspective?
Thanks for your comments!