RE: Element.getComputedRole()

From: White, Jason J <jjwhite@ets.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 17:53:59 +0000
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
CC: Chris Fleizach <cfleizach@apple.com>, David Bolter <dbolter@mozilla.com>, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, PF <public-pfwg@w3.org>, Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]

What is critically important when we go to ARIA 1.1 is if an author chooses to not add an ARIA role to fulfill the design of compound widget (like a Grid) then if the semantics match the design pattern it should work. Here is an example:

<row>
<!—The author is using a non-standard HTML element (“row”) instead of TR. The ARIA role is presumably inferred from the name of the element. -->

<th role="columnheader">foo</th>
</row>
<row>
</row>

I hope I’m interpreting the above correctly. If so, then a custom element such as <grid> would be given a “grid” role, too. The Web Apps working group is working on technologies that would associate code, and hence behavior, with such custom-defined elements.

Thank you for your compliance.