RE: ACTION-1442: Draft spec text for aria-current and aria-currentfor

“Matt's response:
Use case: You have a list of 5 nav links ("page 1", "page 2", ... "page 5")
in a nav element. The  link for "page 1" has been activated so that page is
displayed in the main content. The anchor for "page 1" has
aria-displayed="true". When reading the content of the nav element, the
screen reader user would hear something like "Link page 1 displayed".”

The problem is that people don’t think in terms of the “displayed page” or
“displayed step”, but we do think in terms of the “current page” and
“current step”. That applies equally to developers and users I think.

Léonie.

--

Senior Accessibility Engineer, TPG

@LeonieWatson @PacielloGroup

Alex wrote:
> Not sure. What about navigation links when all of them are presented and
only one of them is "current"?

Matt's response:
Use case: You have a list of 5 nav links ("page 1", "page 2", ... "page 5")
in a nav element. The  link for "page 1" has been activated so that page is
displayed in the main content. The anchor for "page 1" has
aria-displayed="true". When reading the content of the nav element, the
screen reader user would hear something like "Link page 1 displayed".

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Matthew King <mattking@us.ibm.com> wrote:
Alex wrote:
> displayed sounds like visible with me, something on the screen

Yes, that is the understanding we want to convey, right?

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone:  <tel:%28503%29%20578-2329> (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
 <mailto:mattking@us.ibm.com> mattking@us.ibm.com