RE: ACTION-1442: Draft spec text for aria-current and aria-currentfor

Bryan,

> “The aria-current attribute indicates whether the element is current
(true), or not current (false).
> If the aria-current attribute is undefined, the current state of the
element should not be conveyed by User Agents.”

This would imply UA would convey "not current" when it is false. I think
we do not want that. I assume that is the rationale behind Leonie's
wording.

Reality is that we do not even need a value. False and undefined should be
treated the same. Just including aria-current with no ="value" is good
enough. While this would line up with HTML5, it would be a departure from
the rest of ARIA.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com

From:   Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>
To:     "LWatson@PacielloGroup.com" <LWatson@PacielloGroup.com>,
"public-pfwg@w3.org" <public-pfwg@w3.org>,
Date:   11/06/2014 01:12 PM
Subject:        RE: ACTION-1442: Draft spec text for aria-current and
aria-currentfor

Looks good to me, however the following is unclear:

“The aria-current attribute indicates whether the element is current
(true), or not current (false). If the aria-current attribute is false,
the current state of the element should not be conveyed by User Agents.”

This implies two functions for false, which seems to state that false
should be conveyed as ‘not current’ as well as ignored by user agents at
the same time. Since the value of false should be different from
undefined, the following is clearer: