Re: Regarding ARIA drag and drop?

Thanks, I've had a chance to test out this as well, and it seems to share
the same issues that all of the others have that I've been checking out.

The biggest problem from a screen reader perspective, is that there is no
textual equivalent to convey the actions needed for interaction, and the
modes needed to do so such as Applications Mode aren't activated unless
forcibly done by the user, after which the focused element is still not
reliably conveyed. E.G arrowing to a draggable item and pressing Enter in
JAWS does nothing, nor does tabbing into and out of the focusable element,
since the mode remains within Virtual Cursor mode. Similar issues occur for
NVDA. For VoiceOver on iOS touch screen devices, the draggable and droppable
regions are not conveyed at all, making it impossible to determine what is
draggable and where these elements should go.

Basically, I need to find a reliable method for implementing drag and drop
that is accessible for as many people as possible, which I believe I have
done so at
http://whatsock.com/tsg/Coding%20Arena/Drag%20and%20Drop/demo.htm
Which covers all of the following criteria:

1. Keyboard accessibility for sighted keyboard only users.
2. Keyboard accessibility for screen reader users in both Applications Mode
and in Virtual Buffer Mode.
3. Standard drag and drop for sighted mouse and touch screen device users.
4. Accessible drag and drop for blind touch screen device users.

The method covers variable draggable regions that can contain any type of
content, text, images, etc, and uses offscreen positioned drag links that
are dynamically generated for each region. Similarly, offscreen drop links
are dynamically generated when a region is toggled for dragging, and
associated with the drop target on the page.
The aria-grabbed and aria-dropeffect attributes are dynamically updated
according to the drag state and drop zones.
Whenever an offscreen drag or drop link receives focus, it will appear
visually as an overlay for sighted keyboard only users, then disappear when
focus moves away. Sighted mouse users should never see the drag/drop link
overlay since it's sized to 1px and layered beneath the visible page. The
offscreen method ensures accessibility for screen readers that support
Virtual Buffer navigation.

Tested successfully using IE, FF, Chrome, and Safari, with JAWS, NVDA,
Window Eyes, and VoiceOver on iOS.
I don't have access to Orca, but it should work there as well, if somebody
could give it a try to confirm I'd appreciate it.

Since VoiceOver on iOS doesn't actually convey which region is draggable or
droppable via the ARIA attributes, it is impossible for a VO user to move
around and locate where the drop zones are located.

The following method can be used to interact with the draggable regions
nevertheless:
1. Move your fingers like you are turning a knob to move the rotor until
'links' is selected.
2. Swipe up and down with one finger to switch between each drag link.
3. Double tap to toggle draggability for the link.
4. Swipe down through the links until you locate the related drop link.
5. Double tap to initiate the drag and drop action.

I haven't been able to find any more of a reliable method for performing a
drag and drop action than this that covers all of the bases. Please let me
know if others exist that may fit the bill.
Also, if you notice any bugs, please let me know, and I'll fix them as soon
as possible.

Thanks,
Bryan