Re: CSS Counter Styles Level 3 revisted

That is a realy good and important point. I think we should add it to our response.

The CSS WG response suggests that they consider accessibility to be supported because of the speak-as, and we need to tell them that that is not full support.

All the best

Lisa Seeman

Athena ICT Accessibility Projects
LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 01:04:58 +0200 James Craig<jcraig@apple.com> wrote ----

Speak-as is not the same as alternative text. It just allows you to specify whether strings should be spoken with or without punctuation, whether numbers should be spoken as numbers (thirteen) versus digits (one three), whether to spell out or pronounce acronym, etc.

In addition, my understanding is that the entirety of the CSS Speech Module (including speak-as) seems to be very focused on spoken books, and does not apply in many cases to other assistive technologies like screen readers. I previously voiced this concern on that list and none of my feedback was incorporated. It’s being driven by Daisy, which explains their focus on books, but not their unwillingness to incorporate changes that would make CSS 3 Speech work better for other assistive technology uses.