Re: ISSUE-406: Proposal for new aria-tooltip property. (Previously proposed as @aria-help)

On Feb 18, 2014, at 8:27 AM, Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu> wrote:

> James,
>
> What is the computational relationship between aria-tooltip/aria-help and aria-describedby for accessibility APIs, what trumps what? Is aria-tooltip/aria-help envisioned to have a complementary relationship with aria-describedby (e.g. aria-label and aria-labelledby)?

The only overlap would be if aria-describedby was used to point to an element with the tooltip role, which is the currently supported wonky pattern mentioned in the call yesterday. The trump is described in #3 below.

To clarify the mention of both @aria-help and @aria-tooltip, I previously proposed this as @aria-help, but people were more receptive to the name @aria-tooltip, so I updated the proposal. My previous email may have been confusing because I missed a couple references to the old @aria-help attribute name. I think I’ve corrected them all below now.

James