Re: Spec text indicates aria-hidden is not optional (Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC); Publish 1 ARIA FPWD & 2 ARIA Heartbeats)

Birkir,

I think the last note is intended to address the inconsistent
implementation of aria-hidden="false" on content that is not displayed
i.e.,  cautioning authors who are trying to reveal content only to
non-visual users and not to others. In that case, leaving off aria-hidden
would not achieve the effect.

That said, the current draft spec text does not address
aria-hidden="false". It describes the meaning of aria-hidden="true"
without saying so.

At this time, IE is the only browser I know of that exposes <element
aria-hidden="true" style="display:none">my content only for blind
readers</element> to screen readers. Last January, at the face to face at
Mozilla, I thought there was agreement from Mozilla to also implement the
same behavior, but it is not yet done.

I have the feeling that there are still a lot of us who are not entirely
comfortable with this approach to the problem.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com