Re: Is ARIA A11y only? [Was: @aria-describedat at-risk ...]

James Craig writes:

> >> It is clear, but it is clearly in direct conflict with the new UA reqs in
> >> #aria-describedat.

> >> And then later, a direct contradiction in #aria-describedat:

> > Where you see two statements in conflict, I see the first statement
> > defining the bounds of the second.
> >
> > If we haven't made that sufficiently clear, then we need to clarify that
> > somehow, and we should do so globally, to avoid exactly this kind of
> > confusion.
> >
> > I'm open to proposals as to how best to do this, and I will take some
> > time to see if I have notions on how to do it.
> >
> > Perhaps some additional language were we discuss our reliance on RFC2119
> > would help. But, let's do what we must to make it very clear.
> >
> > James, would this kind of clarification work for you?
>
> I see no ambiguity in the statement above, and cannot think of any acceptable re-wording that would allow for an RFC-2119 SHOULD.
>
> If you want to change these statements from SHOULD to MAY, that would suffice, as it would effectively make them no longer requirements. MAY/OPTIONAL recommendations are in line in the prose above. UI requirements including "UAs SHOULD" are not.

No, I want to define "user agent" in a way that excludes mainstream
browsers, but includes AT type user agents.

For the AT type user agents, it's still shoulds and musts throughout the
spec.

For mainstream, browser-type user agents, it's always an R
FC "May."

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200