Re: Is ARIA A11y only? [Was: @aria-describedat at-risk ...]

We are not in candidate recommendation stage. It is too early to state it
is at risk.

You have also raised technical issues with longdesc but as far as I can
tell it seems to have gone forward. To be honest I have avoided that whole
quagmire.

You are completely wrong that aria-describedat cannot be implemented in a
device independent way. Both ATK/ATSPI and IA2 have the ability to expose
activation of aria-described at as one or more of a collection of action. I
don't know how Microsoft has implemented longdesc in UIA but I believe
there is a programmatic way to activate it. UIA also supports design
patterns. If one were not provided one could easily create a new control
pattern that would allow for device independent activation of the
aria-describedat URL. I believe that Firefox did support that functionality
when it supported longdesc.  An AT could bring up a menu of options should
other actions be applicable to the object.

It is not your decision to put something at risk. It is the working groups
decision. Period. It is inappropriate that you made a decision on behalf of
the working group. We are not even remotely close to CR. Furthermore, the
stake holder that requested this feature is part of PF and you initiated
this discussion on a list not used for the ARIA specification and they
don't even have a seat at the table.

I think everyone knows that you have raised concerns about longdesc. This
is not news to anyone.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger