From: ahby@aptest.com [mailto:ahby@aptest.com] On Behalf Of Shane McCarron
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:15 AM
To: Protocols and Formats Working Group
Subject: Re: PFWG-ISSUE-689: Mis-use of ARIA role="heading" needs to be addresed [ARIA 1.1]

I disagree that this is a mis-use of heading.  The @role value of heading is correct when applied to headings (e.g., H2 elements).

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Protocols and Formats Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org<mailto:sysbot+tracker@w3.org>> wrote:
PFWG-ISSUE-689: Mis-use of ARIA role="heading" needs to be addresed [ARIA 1.1]

https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/issues/689

Raised by: Richard Schwerdtfeger
On product: ARIA 1.1

Mis-use of the heading role is creating problems for screen readers:
https://github.com/w3c/respec/issues/370

Suggest:

The header role must require the aria-lavel attribute.
1. if heading is used should we require aria-level to be used. ... make it a required attribute
2. We should include a note that says: "if the host language has a an equivalent host language semantic of "heading" it should be used"?

--
Shane McCarron