Re: Custom Element Semantics

Hi. Some feedback per Steve's request on WAI group.

* "but for the semantics to be formally expressed, developers must convey
the role, states and properties of the element to browser APIs." It's not
clear what role, states and properties is. It'd be good to develop this
sentence by mentioning ARIA techniques. Also it might be not clear what
browser APIs are. Perhaps I wouldn't even mention a11y APIs since this info
is rather for browser developers and may sound confusing for web authors.

* I don't think that any focusable element should get its name from its
subtree. For example, tree control name is not a concatenation of subtrees
of its item. I think role should define whether the element should grab its
name from the subtree or not.

<taco-button tabindex="0">Eat Me</taco-button>

* "The addition of a tabindex
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html/editing.html#attr-tabindex> attribute to the
*taco-button* element"

I think taco-button should be left for examples, but all rules should be
worded in generic terms. For example, the sentence above would be "The
addition of tabindex attribute to the custom element" and then give a
markup example for taco-button.

* "The addition of keyboard event handlers to the *taco-button* element
provides the means for keyboard users to operate the control, but does not
convey the presence of the functionality."

I think I miss the idea of this sentence because the topic is about
semantics of custom elements and thus it's not clear with me where
functionality is supposed to be here.

* "The addition of an ARIA role="button"
<http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#button> conveys the
*taco-button* element's role semantics"

It'd be good to generalize it and give this sentence as an example. It'd be
good to mention other ARIA button related attributes.

Thanks.
Alexander.