From: Matthew King [mailto:mattking@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, December 8, 2014 12:52 PM
To: Birkir Gunnarsson
Cc: 'Bryan Garaventa'; 'James Nurthen'; public-pfwg@w3.org
Subject: Re: ARIA guide authoring practices and assistive technology bugs (alert dialog)

Birkir,

According to the spec, you need this:

That is what I do in our apps, and it works with both JAWS and NVDA. JAWS even reads it correctly with insert+b.

I do not have teams put role="document" around foo2. That should not be necessary. And, the changes to the definition of role dialog we put in for ARIA 1.1 make that yet more clear.

I do agree that it could be beneficial for us to discuss AT buts that are directly related to the patterns we are working on as a group so AT vendors get consistent messaging. I don't see a problem with raising the discussions on the pf list.

Matt King
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com