Spec text indicates aria-hidden is not optional (Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC); Publish 1 ARIA FPWD & 2 ARIA Heartbeats)

I've always thought that text was problematic. IIRC, it was for FireFox/ChromeVox. Since FireVox is no more and ChromeVox no longer requires that authoring practice, maybe we can remove the note entirely. Any objections Dominic?

James

> On Dec 3, 2014, at 11:53 AM, Birkir Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com> wrote:
>
> There is an additional problem related to the text and aria-hidden
> attribute.
> The text that Bryan quoted (problematic section of text marked with
> asterisks(:
> "If an element is only visible after some user action, authors MUST set the
> aria-hidden attribute to true. When the element is presented, *authors MUST
> set the aria-hidden attribute to false or remove the attribute, *
> indicating that the element is visible. Some assistive technologies access
> WAI-ARIA information directly through the DOM and not through platform
> accessibility supported by the browser. Authors MUST set aria-hidden ="true"
> on content that is not displayed, regardless of the mechanism used to hide
> it. This allows assistive technologies or user agents to properly skip
> hidden elements in the document."
>
> This text equates setting aria-hidden to false with removing the aria-hidden
> attribute.
> As indicated in recent discussions, it appears the new intent is that
> aria-hidden="false" overrides any CSS attribute, such as display: none, or
> type="hidden" for <input> elements.
> <input type="hidden" value="Default value">
>
> This is already causing confusion with Voiceover 8.1 testing where a lot of
> <input type="hidden"> fields are popping up inside containers with
> aria-hidden="false".

That's an unrelated bug in WebKit. aria-hidden="false" on an ancestor should not affect the display values of child elements.

> If aria-hidden attribute is removed altogether, those would indisputably
> remain hidden.
>
> So this text definitely needs to be addressed.
> As a larger, and separate, problem, I think aria-hidden="false" should not
> override CSS display settings.

I think you're still conflating a couple UA bugs with the intention of the spec, but I will hold the rest of my thoughts on that until you raise the other thread. FWIW, some of the issues you mentioned are already resolved in the WebKit nightly builds.