ARIA support in SVG in Webkit

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 12:47:38 -0600
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org
Cc: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, Kelvin Lawrence <klawrenc@us.ibm.com>, public-pfwg@w3.org

As you all know we have WAI-ARIA in the SVG2 spec. I applied ARIA to one of
Kelvin Lawrence's SVG examples. Unless the drawing object was text the
object was not exposed to an assistive technology. I ran my test with
VoiceOver. Given our early discussions this is the correct behavior due to
the retained mode graphics in SVG. We would have accessibility objects for
drawing objects that were not of interest.

However, if I did apply aria role="img" and aria-label="some text" then the
drawing objects were mapped and spoken correctly on both iOS, Webkit
nightlys (Mac), Chrome Canary (Mac) by VoiceOver. We have not done an
extensive accessibility API mapping spec. for SVG but this is excellent
news and it shows that accessibility is continuing to come to SVG. I have
not tried it on Firefox for Windows or IE yet.

(See attached file: svgtest.html)

Rich Schwerdtfeger