Rich Schwerdtfeger

From:	Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
To:	Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Joseph Scheuhammer
            <clown@alum.mit.edu>,
Cc:	Cynthia Shelly <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>, W3C WAI Protocols
            & Formats <public-pfwg@w3.org>, Alexander Surkov
            <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>
Date:	10/30/2013 02:40 PM
Subject:	Re: UAIG Menu events

On 2013-10-30 3:29 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
      that works.

With that in mind, here's the latest.  Still waiting on Cynthia for advice
about how to combine rows 5 and 6.

However, the fact that the old text MSAA text for row 6 said, "clear menu
mode", the implication is that the user has moved away from the menu bar,
and not simply moved focus out of a menu, leaving it open.
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
|                      Scenario                      |                    MSAA                    |            Microsoft UIA             |
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------|
  |             Mac OS X             |
  >----------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
|Menubar is currently not active, and user moves     |Activate the menu bar and fire              |MenuModeStartEvent on the accessible  |
|focus to the menubar from elsewhere thereby         |EVENT_SYSTEM_MENUSTART on the accessible    |object for the menu                   |
|activating it. As a result, a menuitem in the       |object for the menubar.                     |                                      |
|menubar is focused.                                 |                                            |                                      |
|                                                    |                                            |                                      |
|                                                    |                                            |                                      |
|Menubar must a DOM parent of the menuitems or one   |                                            |                                      |
|defined by aria-owns.                               |                                            |                                      |
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------|
  |AXMenuOpenedNotification          |
  >----------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
|Focus a menu item while menubar is activated.       |EVENT_OBJECT_FOCUS                          |AutomationFocusChangedEvent           |
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------|
  |AXMenuItemSelectedNotification    |
  >----------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
|Menu popup made visible (menu is opened).           |EVENT_SYSTEM_MENUPOPUPSTART                 |MenuOpenedEvent, then a focus event on|
|                                                    |                                            |a menuitem                            |
|                                                    |                                            |                                      |
|Should only be fired once until the menu is closed  |                                            |                                      |
|and opened again.                                   |                                            |                                      |
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------|
  |AXMenuOpenedNotification          |
  >----------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
|Menu popup hidden (menu is closed).                 |EVENT_SYSTEM_MENUPOPUPEND once only for     |MenuClosedEvent                       |
|                                                    |accessible menu object and only if          |                                      |
|                                                    |EVENT_SYSTEM_MENUPOPUPSTART was fired for   |                                      |
|                                                    |it.                                         |                                      |
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------|
  |AXMenuClosedNotification          |
  >----------------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
|All menus closed, and user moves focus away from    |EVENT_SYSTEM_MENUEND on the menubar;        |MenuModeEndEvent                      |
|menubar; menubar is deactivated.                    |deactivate the menubar                      |                                      |
|----------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------->
  >----------------------------------|
  |AXMenuClosedNotification          |
  >----------------------------------|
|Focus moved out of menu I CAN'T RELATE THIS SCENARIO|EVENT_SYSTEM_MENUPOPUPEND, then             |MenuClosedEvent, then MenuModeEndEvent|
|TO ANY OF ALEX's 5 SCENARIOS.                       |EVENT_SYSTEM_MENUEND and deactivate the     |                                      |
|                                                    |menubar                                     |                                      |

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
             - J. D. Klaun -