Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC) Web Notifications Comments

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 20:11:57 +0200, james nurthen
<james.nurthen@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 10/4/2013 4:33 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>> On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 20:15:46 +0100, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If you have objections, questions, additions, or edits to propose,
>>> please respond to this email no later than close of business Boston
>>> time
>>> Friday 4 October.

>> I think our experience suggests that people *will* use the icons to
>> have meaning that is not communicated independently of the icon. I
>> suggest that we actually need an ability to provide alternative content
>> for the icon. Having redundant information in the notification itself
>> makes no sense - space in notifications is typically at a premium, so
>> this would represent pretty second-rate design.
>
> Chaals,
> I agree with your comment. My previous experience has been that asking
> for a change like this is normally met with resistance

Yes. I asked for this specific change. I met with resistance. I expect
more, because I haven't been convinced I am wrong, and haven't convinced
everyone else that I am right. Plus I am asking for a change in deployed
software.

> but I do agree that we should ask for it nonetheless.

Indeed. We're meant to be accessibility experts. If we don't act on that
expertise "in case we worry that someone might not like what we have to
say" it becomes worthless.

cheers

Chaals