Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML

On 24 Jul 2008, at 6:29 AM, James Graham wrote:

> Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
>> Ian,
>> I don't see how we can fully state how we work with HTML 5 as it
>> is not
>> done. We should be able to do this in a future version.
>
> It will presumably be much easier to integrate ARIA with HTML5 if
> there is active cross-communication between the two groups whilst
> both specifications are still in malleable states.

If you read my original message, that was the whole point;
to arrange for timely cross-communication.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Jul/0294.html

I was discussing HTML ISSUE-35 with your chairs and learned that
while this is an area of feverish work in PFWG, it is not an area
of active work in HTML WG.  So, at their suggestion, I posted here
to ensure there was a link between the HTML and PFWG tracker instances
so we could get back together when and as the focus of discussion in
HTML
WG turns to this issue.

Ian managed not to quote any of the substance of the message as
he responded to his issues, not my message.

My message did not say "we are giving you the answer, like it or
lump it," it said "There's stuff here for us to define/document
and stuff for you.  When you get to your part, do check back so
we can work together to ensure it works with what we have done."

What we change when they don't go together well enough is to be
determined as part of the consultative engineering process.

> Therefore instead of pushing HTML5+ARIA integration to a future
> version of ARIA+HTML when there is already a legacy to support, it
> seems more productive to open up the ARIA work now so that all the
> interested parties can bring their expertise to bear at the
> earliest stage of development.

That is essentially what we have already done (as an accommodation
of the desires of participants in HTML WG), even if Ian doesn't
realize it.

All our Editor's drafts are in public view.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-primer
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-roadmap

Furthermore the discussion of how to use it between the builders
of libraries and the builders of websites carries on in public view
on wai-xtech@w3.org.

What remains in Member space is the inner loop of agendas and minutes
for biweekly telecons.

This is appropriate information hiding; the process of comparing
needs and preferences across diverse disabilities and different layers
of the technology stack: browser builder, ..., user/consumer -- this
process happens inside the Working Group to knock rough edges off the
proposal before it goes to a wider circulation, placing demands
on your attention.

Paul Cotton gave an eloquent defense of this approach at the TPAC 2007
and the exemplary performance of the groups he mentions as regards
transparency and accountability shows that it really can work that
way.

http://www.w3.org/2007/11/07-TechPlenAgenda#open

So you (HTML WG) are invited to deal seriously with our work product
and not to quibble about our process.

That's pragmatic separation of concerns.  Let's do it.

Al