Re: Role attribute values

On 7 Apr 2008, at 1:56 PM, Mark Birbeck wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been asked to forward these comments to those involved in ARIA.
> Obviously I am happy to do that, but I would just say that I think
> some of my comments relate to exactly what @role is all about, and
> therefore raise some conceptual issues.
>
> In other words, I think there may need to be some parallel discussion
> over on the XHTML 2 list, about exactly how the values that are
> 'imported' into the XHTML vocab list should be structured.

[disclaimer: haven't reviewed the archives for any such.  I just
have a few clarifications to suggest, not an exhaustive response.]

> Regards,
>
> Mark

Maybe "more useful" and "more burdensome" are consistent.  Our
participants
doing the processing got us to use the agglutenated names rather than
process @role values as a tuple space.

These compound rolenames are there because we accepted a premise that
the processing model would only require the user agent to handle one
widget role (a role with behavioral connotations) at one time.

<quote
cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#uaconf">

If the token matches a role as defined in this specification, use
this token as the ARIA role and end processing of the value.

</quote>

The API bindings as presently contemplated would not process
@role="alert dialog"
correctly.

>  3. Qualifying a name based on its context also seems to reduce the
>  potential usefulness of a name. For example, just because a
> 'gridcell'
>  is most likely to be used in a 'grid', doesn't mean that is the only
>  place there will be 'cells'. That causes a problem in the future,
>  because it means authors either have to use 'gridcell' outside of the
>  context of a 'grid'--which would seem awkward--or they would have to
>  invent some new role name for 'a cell'. Yet if we call this thing
>  'cell' instead of 'gridcell' from the beginning, we'll not have this
>  problem.

The gridcell has context semantics in terms of how you navigate to it.

The rules for some future context-unaware cell are unknown.

HTML principle: solve real problems.  The real problem we have is
for cells in a rectangular grid with 2D navigation.

>  4. Some things seem to be oddly named. Why is a range control named a
>  'slider'? That points very much towards a specific style of UI
>  rendering, and doesn't really speak to accessibility. Also, since a
>  'spinbutton' is described as a range control, why not make it an
>  actual range control?

These widgets are more concrete than you are used to thinking.

See remark about "GUI bagggage" in reply to Roland.

>  Also, unrelated to the content, why are some of the properties marked
>  up as having a datatype of xsd:string? If it's to inhibit the
>  rdf:XMLLiteral processing, wouldn't it be better to just use
>  @datatype="", and get a plain literal?

This is a technical difference we will need to understand better
before responding.  That is I'm not convinced we fully understand
the difference between "a plain literal" and an xsd:string.

Al